Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Unix on Windows: Cygwin and OpenSSH Server

Cygwin is a fantastic set of Unix programs/scripts that run in a windows environment. I use it almost daily now, especially when doing any kind of remote computing via the openssh server that is available through the the cygwin setup. Below are four articles from Lifehacker that got me going on this powerful little toolbox. It is a great way to get familiar with command line usage in a unix environment from inside windows. You can navigate through your file system via command line and check yourself in the familiar windows GUI.
I'll be detailing my favorite uses for the openssh server later on. Check out these articles and get cygwin for yourself. You'll be glad you did!

Intro to Cygwin part 1, part 2 and part 3.

Now you can set up an ssh server just like on Puppy. I have it set up on Ubuntu, as well, which will be listed in my favorite programs and tweaks for Ubuntu, coming up next!

For an ssh server on Windows using OpenSSH through Cygwin check out this Lifehacker article: How To Setup A Home SSH Server.

No comments: