Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Fresh XP Install continued

After formatting (see previous blog) I was ready to install. Actually I have to take a step back: before repartitioning my hard drive (and deleting everything on it that I had backed up) I used nlite to slim down my XP pro SP2 OS. I took out all languages but UK English, all keyboards but US standard, the tour, movie maker, briefcase, and made some tweaks to the appearance. The ability to take complete control of the appearance of the desktop through a simple UI as well as creating an unattended install are my favorite reasons for using nlite. When I first started using nlite I took out everything I could and kept ending up with stability problems, so I just took out the complete non essentials and some of the services that were just security risks and still cut the install image by half.

Soon I plan to try and use RyanVM's integrator to update the install disk before installation. I would also like to learn how to add programs pre-installation, although this would not make much sense with those that are frequently updated. All stuff for future blogs!!

The nlite install went very well. I made a backup image first thing, and then, before connecting to the internet, installed bitdefender 10 free for my antivirus and Comodo Firewall, both of which I had downloaded prior to reformatting and stored on my backup HDD (the 250G SATA). Then I connected to the internet and updated both.
Incidentally, I chose to have automatic updates turned off during the nlite process. After a full virus scan I used Autopatcher May core, june, and july patches to bring my system up to date as well add IE7 and WMP11. This little program worked very well. I had used it in a couple virtual machines so I knew how to navigate it. Just be aware that the initial update from a 'bare' SP2 install will take about an hour and a half (probably depends on your processor somewhat?) After that I turned on Automatic Update to download but not install updates and commenced to setting up my favorite, can't live without programs - the subject of my next blog....
Any tricks or suggestions from your own experiences with re-installing your OS?

No comments: