Sunday, September 2, 2007

Why I'm not a Mac Person

I just grudgingly downloaded Quicktime 7 and realized why I really don't like Apple's stuff and I will never be a Mac person. I can't stand the way that Apple's programs literally take control of your computer's settings. If I let it, quicktime would not only take over just about every video format my computer plays but it would start itself and run in the background, eating up system resources. Granted, a lot of Windows programs do this too, and I guess since it is media the quicktime take over is more obvious, but I can't stand the assumption that their software is so important to me that I want it dominating whatever aspect I am downloading it for.

Macs are easier, I hear it said, and this is because it does everything for you. Sets up all your associations, reduces the steps to accomplish a goal by deciding for you what those steps should be. This is great for someone who uses their computer only, bad for someone that likes to use it and manipulate the way it operates.

I just can't stand downloading a program and then having to keep going back and taking away file associations and blocking it from startup because these choices weren't presented at install - these are, in my opinion, hallmarks of a poorly made program, at least from a user's perspective.

And what the hell is this Bonjour thing that keeps trying to act like a server and connect to the internet? Smells like spyware to me....

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.